The June 2015 update (4.9) will be deployed on Tuesday, 30th of June.
Look for the megaphone! We've highlighted important class site changes worthy of communicating to end users or support staff.
We've taken assignments back to the drawing board and created something we think is magical! Check out the video below and share it with your teachers in preparation for September:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hienRBmx-fg?rel=0&showinfo=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
We've created an experience which resembles a process teachers are already familiar with, and then incorporated tools to support both blended and formative approaches to learning.
- Quickly create assignments using text, documents, images, audio or video.
- Automatically distribute assignments to students. Provide each student with a handout or let them create their own content.
- Track student progress and interact with them during the process.
- Painlessly collect, review and assess student work. Quickly get grade summaries for each assignment.
Existing assignments will be migrated. Existing student submissions will be archived, you'll find them in Site Contents (in the Settings Cog).
What's stopping you from getting started? (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Students Portfolios File Previews & Thumbnails
Portfolio posts containing PDF, Word, PowerPoint and Excel 2013 files now display right inside your browser. No need to download or install Microsoft Office. Existing Office documents can be edited right in the browser using Word, Excel and PowerPoint online.
Thumbnails now also include a preview for posts which contain PDF, DOCX, PPTX or XLSX files.
As an ongoing effort to help customers get the most out of their portal we are adding additional usage monitoring. This data provides deeper insight into adoption and usage, this ultimately helps to direct effort to the most important areas. As per existing analytics, no personally identifiable information is included in the data. The information is available to you, and includes data such as site visits, size and modification dates. Class & Group Wikis Disabled
The Wiki feature will be removed from class and group sites. Existing wikis and content are not affected. Please contact us before Tuesday 30th of June if you wish to retain this feature. It can be re-enabled at any time.
Fixes & Enhancements
- Featured Links categories - The featured links web part now supports grouping links by categories.
- User Directory web part can now display the description field from user's Active Directory profile.
- On portal sites the current user's profile photo is now displayed in the ribbon bar.
- Teachers can now create new class sites from their public site.
- Portfolio sites now displays an introduction tutorial for new users.
- Portfolio rich text editor no longer greys out "Insert Picture from computer" on iOS devices.
- Portfolio rich text editor cursor no longer gets stuck in IE and Firefox.
- Portfolio posts containing image attachments (uploaded using the text editor and not the image feature) now display inline.
- Calendar subscription iCal and RSS links now appear for all calendar lists (in Calendar view).
- Featured Stories now correctly displays new lines contained in captions.
- Featured Stories no longer re-adds default images when using Manage Site in class and groups.
- Manage Site no longer errors when an existing user on the site has been removed from Active Directory.
- Manage Site no longer removes individual users from objects with broken inheritance
- Media Gallery web part now renders portrait images inside their bounding box. Gallery styles have also been improved.
- Publications/Documents web part now correctly generates links for folders.
- Embedded YouTube videos will now respect query string parameters correctly.
Other Notes & Resources
We are tracking the following issues and will provide updated information when available:
- We have identified an issue with Internet Explorer where drag and drop file upload does not work in some situations.
- Error when uploading video files (such as mp4) to the Media Gallery on class and groups sites. Files complete uploading but an error appears.
We're also continuing to create new user documentation and technical resources:
- Assignments - Updated to provide help with the new assignments feature
- Excel Surveys - Quickly create surveys and simple forms
If you have any questions regarding the update process please see our original notice.